- Makes: 6 servings
- Serving Size: 5 meatballs, 2/3 cup spaghetti squash, and about 2/3 cup sauce
- Yields: about 30 meatballs, 4 cups spaghetti squash, 3 3/4 cups sauce
- Prep: 30 mins
- Stand: 20 mins
- Bake: 50 mins 400°
Roasted Spaghetti Squash with Meatballs
3 pound spaghetti squash, halved and seeded
Nonstick cooking spray
cup boiling water
egg, lightly beaten
pound 93% lean ground beef
cloves garlic, minced
tablespoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
14 1/2 ounce cans fire-roasted crushed tomatoes, undrained
teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
cup grated Parmesan cheese
Snipped fresh basil (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly coat inside of the spaghetti squash with cooking spray. Place squash halves, cut sides down, on a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake about 50 minutes or until squash is soft. Let cool slightly. Use a fork to separate the strands of squash.
- Meanwhile, for meatballs, place bulgur in a large bowl. Pour the boiling water over bulgur; let stand about 20 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed. Add egg, ground beef, garlic, and 1 teaspoon of the Italian seasoning. Mix to combine. Shape into 1-inch meatballs.
- Lightly coat a very large skillet with cooking spray; heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add meatballs to hot skillet; cook until browned, turning occasionally to brown evenly. Add tomatoes, sugar, crushed red pepper (if desired), the salt, and the remaining 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 7 to 10 minutes or until sauce starts to thicken and meatballs are cooked through (160 degrees F).*
- Serve meatballs and sauce over squash. Top with grated Parmesan cheese. If desired, sprinkle with basil.
From the Test Kitchen
The internal color of a meatball is not a reliable doneness indicator. A beef meatball cooked to 160 degrees F is safe, regardless of color. To measure the doneness of a meatball, insert an instant-read thermometer into the center of the meatball.
Nutrition Facts (Roasted Spaghetti Squash with Meatballs)
- Per serving:
- 281 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 75 mg chol.,
- 809 mg sodium,
- 32 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 13 g sugar,
- 22 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Related CategoriesBeef Recipes, Dinner Recipes, Ethnic Recipes, Healthy Dinner Recipes, Healthy Dinners, Healthy Recipes, Heart Healthy Dinners, Heart-Healthy Recipes, Italian Recipes, Low Cholesterol Recipes, Low Fat Recipes, Quick and Easy Dinners, Quick and Easy Healthy Dinner Recipes, Vegetable Casseroles, Vegetable Recipes