Roasted Root Vegetable and Wilted Romaine Salad
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Wash and peel the beets; cut into 1-inch pieces. Place in a 2-quart baking dish. Toss with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and the salt and pepper to taste. Cover dish tightly with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel the carrots, turnips, and/or parsnips. Cut carrots and turnips into irregular-shape 1-inch pieces. Cut parsnips into irregular 3/4-inch pieces. Place in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Add shallots. Toss with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper.
- Remove foil from dish with beets; stir beets gently. Increase oven temperature to 425 degrees F. Return beets to oven and place pan with shallot mixture alongside beets. Roast both pans, uncovered, for 30 to 40 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, for dressing, in a screw-top jar combine the 6 tablespoons olive oil, the white wine vinegar, thyme, Dijon-style mustard, honey, garlic, and additional salt and pepper to taste; cover and shake well.
- To serve, in a large bowl toss the romaine with the dressing to coat. Place on a platter. Top with the hot vegetables. Sprinkle pecans and parsley over all. Serve immediately.
From the Test Kitchen
To Make Ahead:
Prepare and store dressing in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To serve, bring dressing to room temperature; shake well before using.
Nutrition Facts (Roasted Root Vegetable and Wilted Romaine Salad)
- Per serving:
- 165 kcal cal.,
- 13 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 8 g monounsatured fat),
- 0 mg chol.,
- 179 mg sodium,
- 13 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 6 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet