Roasted Poblano Twice Baked Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Scrub potatoes thoroughly with a brush; pat dry. Prick potatoes several times with a fork. Bake for 40 to 60 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with foil; set aside. Halve peppers lengthwise; remove stems, seeds, and membranes. Place peppers, cut sides down, on prepared baking sheet. Bake alongside the potatoes for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly charred. Remove from oven. Bring foil up around peppers to enclose. Let stand about 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Use a sharp knife to loosen edges of the skins; gently pull off and discard skins. Chop peppers; set aside.
- Cool potatoes slightly. Cut a lengthwise slice off the top of each baked potato; discard skin from slices and place pulp in a large bowl. Scoop out potato pulp from baked potatoes, leaving 1/4-inch shells; add potato pulp to the bowl.
- Mash the potato pulp with a potato masher or an electric mixer on low speed. Add sour cream, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper; mash or beat until smooth. (If necessary, stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons milk to reach desired consistency.) Stir in 1/2 cup of the Gouda cheese and the chopped roasted poblano peppers. Spoon the mashed potato mixture into the potato shells, mounding high. Place filled potatoes in a 3-quart baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes or until light brown. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake for 2 to 3 minutes more or until cheese is melted.
From the Test Kitchen
To Make Ahead:
Prepare as directed through Step 4. Wrap each filled potato loosely in foil. Place potatoes in a resealable freezer bag or freezer container. Freeze for up to 1 month.
To bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Remove potatoes from foil. Arrange potatoes in a 3-quart baking dish. Cover dish with foil. Bake about 1 hour or until heated through. Uncover, sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake about 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted.
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. when working with the chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Roasted Poblano Twice Baked Potatoes)
- Per serving:
- 254 kcal cal.,
- 13 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 41 mg chol.,
- 387 mg sodium,
- 27 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 9 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet