Roasted Chicken Chimichangas
pound purchased, roasted chicken, shredded
15 ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
cup finely chopped onion
cup snipped fresh cilantro
teaspoons adobo sauce from canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
12 inches flour tortillas
Vegetable oil for frying
cup Mexican crema or 1 cup sour cream thinned with 1/4 cup milk
cup refrigerated avocado dip (guacamole)
cup crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese (4 ounces)
- In a medium bowl combine chicken, pinto beans, onion, cilantro, and adobo sauce; mix well. Place about 1/2 cup of the meat-bean mixture just below center of each tortilla. Fold bottom edge of each tortilla up and over filling. Fold opposite sides in and over filling. Roll up and secure with wooden toothpicks.*
- In an extra-large skillet heat about 1/2 inch of vegetable oil over medium heat to 365 degrees F. Fry filled tortillas, a few at a time, for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown, crispy, and heated through, turning once. Drain on paper towels.
- To serve, top chimichangas with crema, avocado dip, queso fresco, and salsa.
From the Test Kitchen
To make tortillas easy to roll without cracking, wrap tortillas in paper towels; microwave on 100 percent power (high) for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or just until warmed.
Nutrition Facts(Roasted Chicken Chimichangas)
- Per serving:
- 747 kcal cal.,
- 40 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat,
- 10 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 85 mg chol.,
- 1172 mg sodium,
- 61 g carb.,
- 7 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 33 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet