Roast Chicken Empanadas
- Prepare Empanada Dough and let rise. Meanwhile, In a medium saucepan combine the potatoes, apples, garlic, curry powder, and coconut milk. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 15 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat. Mash potato mixture with a fork. Fold in olive oil, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Stir in chicken, cilantro, and Parmesan.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Divide the dough into 24 pieces by rolling into a long thin log and cutting into equal portions. Shape into balls. On a lightly floured surface, roll one ball into a 4-inch circle. Prick with a fork. Brush the edge very lightly with egg wash*, then spoon a slightly rounded tablespoon of filling onto the center. Gently fold in half. Press the edges closed with a fork. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Prick each empanada once or twice with a fork. Bake until they begin to color, about 15 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk together egg and water. Remove from the oven, brush lightly with the egg wash. Return to the oven and bake until the empanadas are golden brown, about 1 to 3 minutes more.
From the Test Kitchen
For egg wash, whisk together 1 egg and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl.
Test Kitchen Tip
Our empanada dough calls for rendered lard, which is a melted-down pig fat available at butchers and Mexican markets. Alternately, you can use drippings from cooking 2 slices of bacon, then add enough butter to make 3/4 cup.
- Bring the milk to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat and add the lard and butter. Let stand until melted and mixture is around 105 degrees F to 115 degrees F (about 10 minutes). Add the yeast; stir to dissolve. Let stand for 10 minutes or until foamy.
- Mix 2 1/2 cups of the flour and salt together in a large bowl; make a well in the center. Pour the wet ingredients into the well. Using your hands or a wooden spoon, start pulling the flour into the wet ingredients until you've combined the wet and dry and made a ball of dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes, kneading in remaining flour as needed. Place the dough into a buttered bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Punch dough down.
From the Test Kitchen
If you can't find rendered lard, render the fat from 2 slices bacon and add enough butter to make 3/4 cup.
Nutrition Facts (Roast Chicken Empanadas)
- Per serving:
- 152 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 14 mg chol.,
- 99 mg sodium,
- 14 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 1 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet