- Makes: 6 servings
- Serving Size: 4 ounce servings plus leftovers
- Prep: 20 mins
- Chill: 1 hr
- Roast: 15 mins 500°
Roast Beef with Rosemary
sprig fresh rosemary
2 ounce can anchovy fillets, drained
clove garlic, peeled and smashed
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 1/2 pound beef strip loin roast or top sirloin roast*
Fresh rosemary leaves
- Remove leaves from the rosemary sprig. Place rosemary leaves, anchovies, garlic, and black pepper on a cutting board. Roughly chop mixture. Drag the flat, broad side of the knife across the mixture in one direction and then the other until it forms a smooth paste. Transfer to a small bowl. Stir in vinegar and enough olive oil to make a spreadable paste. Set aside.
- Trim most of the fat from the roast; score any fat that remains. Rub anchovy paste over beef. Tuck edges of the roast under and tie with kitchen string. Cover and chill at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Place the roast on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Insert a oven-going meat thermometer into center of roast. Roast, uncovered, for 15 minutes; reduce temperature to 350 degrees F. Roast for 45 to 60 minutes more or until the thermometer registers 135 degrees F for medium-rare. Remove roast from oven. Cover with foil; let stand 15 minutes. (The temperature of meat will rise to 145 degrees F after standing). Top with fresh rosemary leaves.
From the Test Kitchen
Try substituting 1/4 cup purchased black olive tapenade for the anchovy paste.
If you really love anchovies, double the ingredients for the paste and thickly coat the roast.
Nutrition Facts (Roast Beef with Rosemary)
- Per serving:
- 236 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 74 mg chol.,
- 289 mg sodium,
- 0 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 0 g sugar,
- 33 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet