Rich Beef Stew with Bacon and Plums
3 1/2 pound well-marbled beef chuck roast
tablespoon kosher salt
tablespoons olive oil
ounces thick sliced, center-cut applewood smoked bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
tablespoons unsalted butter
cups diced yellow onions
leek, white part only, split lengthwise (s sand and then blotted dry (reserve one long inner piece) and cut crosswide into slices
large cloves garlic, peeled, and roughly chopped (about 1 heaping tablespoon)
cups dry red wine (such as Pinot Noir)
cups chicken stock
stick cinnamon, broken
whole black peppercorns
fresh bay leaves (or 1 dried bay leaf)
tablespoon tomato paste
teaspoon dried thyme
stems fresh parsley, leaves picked and chopped, stems reserved
cup pitted prunes
- Trim and cut roast into 2-inch pieces. Sprinkle evenly with the 1 Tbsp. kosher salt. Cover; chill overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a 15x10x1 baking pan with a silicone baking mat; set aside. Cook bacon in Tbsp. hot oil over medium-low heat until browned. Remove; drain on paper towel, reserving 3 Tbsp. drippings. Place squash on prepared pan. Add 1 Tbsp. butter and 1 Tbsp. bacon drippings. Sprinkle salt; toss to coat. Roast 20 to 30 minutes or until tender and browned, stirring once. Cover with waxed paper; set aside. Reduce oven to 275 degrees F.
- Add remaining 2 Tbsp. olive to remaining 2 Tbsp. bacon drippings in skillet; heat over medium-high heat. Blot beef well with paper towels; add to skillet in batches, being careful not to crowd the skillet. Brown deeply on all sides. Remove; set aside.
- Drain all but 1 tsp. fat from skillet. Add remaining 1 Tbsp. butter and onions to pan. Sprinkle with salt. Stir over medium heat, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring often, until onions just begin to soften. Stir in leek slices and garlic. Sprinkle with salt. Cook 4 minutes more. Transfer to a 3-quart baking dish; set aside. Pour wine into skillet. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, until reduced by half.
- Place beef and bacon over onions. Pour reduced wine over. Add stock to almost cover. Using kitchen string, tie cinnamon, peppercorns, and cloves in a piece of cheesecloth; tuck into beef mixture. Add bay leaves. Dollop tomato paste around beef mixture. Place parchment paper over dish. Top with a triple later of heavy foil. Seal tightly. Place on rimmed baking sheet. Bake 2 hours. Uncover; add prunes. Cover; bake 45 minutes to an hour more or until meat is easily pierced with a knife. Uncover; skim fat. Remove cheesecloth bag and parsley stems; discard. Increase oven to 350 degrees F. Add butternut squash. Bake uncovered, 20 minutes, basting once or twice. To serve, sprinkle with parsley leaves. Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Rich Beef Stew with Bacon and Plums)
- Per serving:
- 539 kcal cal.,
- 24 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 11 g monounsatured fat),
- 115 mg chol.,
- 1348 mg sodium,
- 29 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 12 g sugar,
- 38 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet