Sushi Meshi (Vinegared Rice)
- Place rice in fine-wire strainer. Rinse under cold running water, rubbing grains together with fingers to clean thoroughly. Continue rinsing and lifting until water runs clear. Tap strainer to remove liquid.
- In medium saucepan, combine rice and water; soak 15 minutes. Bring to boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes, until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered and undisturbed, 15 minutes. Transfer rice to large shallow baking pan. Cool slightly.
- While rice is standing, heat and stir vinegar, sugar, and salt in small pan over medium heat until sugar and salt dissolve. Remove from heat. Stir in rice wine.
- Drizzle vinegar mixture evenly over surface of rice. Using rubber spatula, pull rice toward you, then fold it over on itself. Repeat folding, being careful not to cut rice grains, until rice absorbs vinegar mixture.
From the Test Kitchen
Cover vinegar-seasoned rice with clean, damp kitchen cloth for up to 24 hours. Do not store vinegar-seasoned rice in refrigerator; it becomes too hard for making into sushi.) Makes 4 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Sushi Meshi (Vinegared Rice))
- Per serving:
- 33 kcal cal.,
- 73 mg sodium,
- 7 g carb.,
- 1 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet