Slow Cooker Risotto
Wheat berries add a good-for-you spin to this mushrooms, rice, and Asiago cheese side-dish recipe.
- Makes: 12 servings
- Yields: 12 to 14 side-dish servings
- Prep: 40 mins
- Cook: 4 hrs 4 hrs.
- Stand: 15 mins
Slow Cooker Risotto
cup wheat berries
pounds fresh mushrooms (cremini, button, and/or shiitake), sliced
14 ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
cups converted rice (no substitution)
cup chopped shallots
cloves garlic, minced
teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
ounces Asiago cheese, finely shredded
tablespoons butter, cut up
cup sliced fresh mushrooms
yellow sweet pepper, chopped
Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- In a small saucepan combine wheat berries and 1-1/2 cups water; bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes. Drain.
- Lightly coat inside of 4- to 5-quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Place wheat berries, mushrooms, broth, rice, shallots, garlic, oregano, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and black pepper in cooker. Cover; cook on low-heat setting 4 hours or until rice is tender.
- Stir cheese and butter into rice. Turn off cooker. Let stand, covered, 15 minutes. Stir in additional broth if risotto is too dry.
- Meanwhile, saute the 1 cup sliced mushrooms in a small amount of olive oil; set aside. To serve risotto, top with sweet pepper, sauteed mushrooms, and parsley. Makes 12 to 14 side-dish servings.
Nutrition Facts (Slow Cooker Risotto)
- Per serving:
- 212 kcal cal.,
- 7 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 18 mg chol.,
- 413 mg sodium,
- 31 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 8 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Related CategoriesDinner Recipes, Ethnic Recipes, Healthy Dinners, Healthy Recipes, Heart Healthy Dinners, Heart-Healthy Recipes, Italian Recipes, Low Fat Recipes, Quick and Easy Dinners, Quick and Easy Healthy Dinner Recipes, Rice and Grains Recipes, Slow Cooker Recipes, Soup Recipes, Vegetable Casseroles, Vegetable Recipes, Vegetarian Recipes