Upload your photo here.
Classic Risotto with Peas
- In 3-quart saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot oil over medium heat about 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Add the rice. Cook about 5 minutes or until rice is golden brown, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, in a 1-1/2-quart saucepan bring broth to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and keep broth simmering. Carefully stir 1 cup of the broth into the rice mixture. Cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat until liquid is absorbed. Stir another 1 cup of the broth into rice mixture. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until liquid is absorbed. Add another 1 cup broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently until the broth has been absorbed. (This should take 18 to 20 minutes total.)
- Stir in remaining broth, the peas, carrot, and dried thyme (if using). Cook and stir until rice is just tender and creamy.
- Stir in spinach, cheese, and fresh thyme (if using); heat through. Serve immediately. Makes 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Classic Risotto with Caramelized Onions:
Prepare as above, except omit peas. While risotto is cooking, in a 10-inch skillet heat cook 2 cups sliced, halved onions in 1 tablespoon hot olive oil, covered over medium-low heat for 15 minutes. Uncover and cook 10 to 15 minutes more or until onion is evenly golden brown; stir frequently. In Step 3, add caramelized onions with carrot.
Classic Risotto with Edamame:
Prepare as above, except omit peas. Cook 1 cup frozen shelled sweet soybeans (edamame) according to package directions. In step 3 add edamame with the carrot. Makes 4 main-dish or 6 side-dish servings.
Classic Risotto with Shrimp:
Prepare as above, except omit peas. In Step 3 stir in 1-1/2 cups cooked, peeled medium shrimp with the carrot. Makes 4 main-dish or 6 side-dish servings.
Shortcut Risotto with Peas:
Prepare as above through Step 1. Carefully stir in all of the broth. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover, simmer for 20 minutes (do not lift cover). Remove from heat. Stir in peas, carrot, and dried thyme (if using). Cover; let stand for 5 minutes. Rice should be just tender and mixture should be slightly creamy. (If necessary, stir in a little water to reach desired consistency.) Stir in spinach, cheese, and fresh thyme (if using); heat through. Serve at once.
Nutrition Facts (Classic Risotto with Peas)
- Per serving:
- 278 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 111 mg chol.,
- 994 mg sodium,
- 33 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 16 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet