Rhubarb and Rose Petal Jam
ounces pink or red edible rose petals (6 cups)
pounds fresh rhubarb
1 3/4 ounce package regular powdered fruit pectin
- For syrup, in a stainless-steel, enamel, or nonstick 4-quart Dutch oven, combine 1 cup of the sugar and the water. Cook and stir until sugar dissolves. Bring mixture to boiling. Stir in rose petals. Remove from heat. Using the back of a wooden spoon, slightly mash rose petals. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve set over a large bowl. Discard petals.
- Meanwhile, finely chop rhubarb. In the same Dutch oven, combine rhubarb and the strained syrup. Bring to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to medium; simmer for about 2 minutes or until rhubarb is tender. Measure 4 1/2 cups of the rhubarb mixture; return to the Dutch oven. Stir pectin into rhubarb mixture. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in the remaining 5 1/2 cups sugar. Return to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Quickly skim off foam with a metal spoon.
- Ladle hot jam into hot, sterilized half-pint canning jars, leaving a 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe jar rims; adjust lids.
- Process filled jars in a boiling-water canner for 10 minutes (start timing when water returns to boiling). Remove jars from canner; cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts(Rhubarb and Rose Petal Jam)
- Per serving:
- 48 kcal cal.,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 0 g monounsatured fat),
- 0 mg chol.,
- 1 mg sodium,
- 12 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 12 g sugar,
- 0 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet