- Makes: 10 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Chill: 6 hrs
Red Potato Salad with Bacon
pounds tiny new red potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
cups mayonnaise or salad dressing
teaspoons white vinegar
teaspoons yellow mustard
cup sliced celery
cup sliced green onions
cup chopped Dilled Quick Pickles or dill pickle relish
tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
tablespoons prepared horseradish
hard-cooked eggs, chopped
slices bacon, crisp-cooked and coarsely crumbled
teaspoon ground black pepper
Lettuce leaves (optional)
- In a large saucepan combine potatoes, the 1 teaspoon salt, and enough water to cover. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 20 minutes or just until tender. Drain well; let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, for dressing, in a large bowl stir together mayonnaise, vinegar, and mustard. Stir in celery, green onions, pickles, parsley, and horseradish. Add potatoes, eggs, bacon, the 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the pepper. Toss gently to coat. Cover and chill for 6 to 24 hours before serving.
- To serve, if desired, line a serving bowl with lettuce leaves; spoon potato salad into bowl.
Dilled Quick Pickles
pounds 4-inch pickling cucumbers, stems removed and cut into quarters
sprigs fresh dill
cloves garlic, thinly sliced
teaspoons coriander seeds
teaspoons whole black peppercorns
teaspoons celery seeds
teaspoon mustard seeds
teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
cups white vinegar
- Pack cucumbers, onion, dill, and garlic into two sterilized pint canning jars. Divide coriander seeds, peppercorns, celery seeds, mustard seeds, and crushed red pepper (if using) evenly between the jars.
- In a small saucepan combine the water, vinegar, sugar, and salt; bring to boiling. Divide hot mixture evenly between jars, pouring it slowly over the cucumber mixture. Secure lids and store in refrigerator overnight or for up to 1 week before serving.