Red Beans Creole
cups dry red beans (1-1/2 pounds), rinsed and drained
cups chopped onions (3 large)
4 ounce cans (drained weight) sliced mushrooms, drained
cloves garlic, minced
tablespoons Creole seasoning
14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano, undrained
cups instant brown rice
medium green sweet peppers, cut into strips
Bottled hot pepper sauce (optional)
- Place beans in a large saucepan. Add enough water to cover beans by 2 inches. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans.
- In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine beans, the 5 cups water, the onions, mushrooms, garlic, and Creole seasoning.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 11 to 13 hours or on high-heat setting for 5-1/2 to 6-1/2 hours.
- If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in tomatoes, uncooked rice, and sweet peppers. Cover and cook for 30 minutes more. If desired, pass bottled hot pepper sauce.
Nutrition Facts(Red Beans Creole)
- Per serving:
- 415 kcal cal.,
- 2 g fat
- 541 mg sodium,
- 81 g carb.,
- 16 g fiber,
- 23 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet