Ratatouille with Parmesan Toast
Ratatouille is a traditional French dish that typically stars eggplant, peppers, tomatoes, onions, squash, lots of garlic, herbs, and olive oil. This slow-cooked version has all the classic vegetables, plus protein-rich beans, and is finished with a sprinkling of fresh basil.
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Slow Cook: 4 1/2 to 5 hours (low) or 2 to 2 1/2 hours (high)
- In 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker combine eggplant, beans, tomatoes, squash, tomato sauce, sweet pepper, onion, garlic, black pepper, and salt.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 4 1/2 to 5 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- Stir basil into mixture in cooker. Serve eggplant mixture with bread slices; sprinkle with cheese.
To toast bread slices, preheat broiler. Brush one side of each bread slice with some of 1 tablespoon olive oil. Place bread slices, oil sides up, on a baking sheet. Broil 3 to 4 inches from heat about 15 seconds or until toasted (watch carefully to avoid burning). Sprinkle bread slices with some of 2 tablespoons finely shredded Parmesan cheese. Broil about 15 seconds longer or until cheese is melted.
- Per serving:
- 395 kcal cal.,
- 7 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 4 mg chol.,
- 951 mg sodium,
- 72 g carb.,
- 14 g fiber,
- 13 g sugar,
- 19 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet