- Allow eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease a 9x9x2-inch baking pan. Line pan with waxed paper. Grease and flour waxed paper; set pan aside. In a small bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and lemon peel; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl beat eggs with an electric mixer on high speed about 4 minutes or until thick. Gradually add sugar, beating on medium speed for 4 to 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add flour mixture; beat on low to medium speed just until combined.
- In a small saucepan heat and stir milk and vegetable oil spread until spread melts; add to batter, beating until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Invert cake onto a wire rack lined with waxed paper; carefully peel off top waxed paper and cool completely.
- Cut cake into 12 pieces. Split each cake piece in half horizontally. Place cake piece bottoms on individual dessert plates. Spoon half of the Raspberry-Lemonade Sauce over cake bottoms. Top with cake piece tops. Spoon remaining sauce onto cakes. If desired, garnish with lemon wedges and mint leaves.
From the Test Kitchen
Choose Splenda Sugar Blend. Follow package directions to use product amount equivalent to 3/4 cup sugar. Per serving with sugar substitute: Same as original, except 156 cal., 29 g carb. Exchanges: 1.5 carb. Carb choices: 2.
Raspberry Lemonade Sauce
- Place the 3 cups fresh or frozen raspberries in a medium bowl. (Thaw frozen raspberries in the bowl, if using; do not drain.) Mash berries with a potato masher. In a small saucepan combine sugar,** cornstarch, and lemon peel. Add mashed raspberries. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Cool about 10 minutes. Stir in the 4 cups fresh or frozen (thawed and drained) raspberries. Makes about 3-1/2 cups.
From the Test Kitchen
We do not recommend a sugar substitute for the sauce.
Nutrition Facts (Raspberry-Lemonade Shortcakes)
- Per serving:
- 175 kcal cal.,
- 3 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 35 mg chol.,
- 49 mg sodium,
- 35 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet