Ranch Beans with Peppered Bacon
- In a skillet cook bacon over medium-low heat to remove some of the fat. Do not cook until crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels. Finely chop six pieces of the cooked bacon; reserve remaining bacon.
- Discard all but 1 teaspoon bacon drippings from skillet. Add chopped bacon, onion, sweet pepper, jalapeno peppers, and garlic to skillet. Cook over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes, scraping up the bits from bottom of pan. Pour in beer; simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer mixture to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Drain but do not rinse white beans and pinto beans. Add beans, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and liquid smoke, if desired, to slow cooker. Arrange reserved bacon on top of beans.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours or until beans are soft and tender.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Ranch Beans with Peppered Bacon)
- Per serving:
- 167 kcal cal.,
- 2 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 4 mg chol.,
- 469 mg sodium,
- 29 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 9 g sugar,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet