Quinoa with Roasted Beets and Chive Vinaigrette
pounds baby beets
cloves garlic, peeled
tablespoons olive oil
teaspoon ground black pepper
cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
tablespoons white balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar
tablespoon snipped fresh chives
teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
Ground black pepper
cup crumbled ricotta salata or feta cheese
cup chopped walnuts, toasted
shallot, thinly sliced
Snipped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut tops off beets and trim root ends. Halve or quarter beets. Place beets and garlic in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; toss to coat. Cover with foil.
- Roast for 40 to 45 minutes or until tender. Let stand, covered, for 15 minutes. To remove skins, wrap beets, one at a time, in a paper towel and gently rub to remove skins. (If skins are very tender, you do not need to remove them). Mash garlic and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan combine quinoa, the water, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- For vinaigrette, in a screw-top jar combine the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, the vinegar, 1 tablespoon chives, and the mustard. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl combine quinoa, vinaigrette, cheese, walnuts, and shallot. Toss to combine.
- Divide quinoa mixture among serving plates. Top with roasted beets. Sprinkle with additional snipped chives. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts(Quinoa with Roasted Beets and Chive Vinaigrette)
- Per serving:
- 364 kcal cal.,
- 19 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 8 g monounsatured fat),
- 13 mg chol.,
- 521 mg sodium,
- 38 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 7 g sugar,
- 11 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet