Quinoa-Nectarine Gazpacho with Crispy Spiced Tortilla Strips
- In a colander rinse quinoa well; drain. In a small saucepan bring water and salt to boiling. Stir in quinoa. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and discard any excess water; set quinoa aside to cool.
- Place nectarines in a large bowl. If desired, mash some of the pieces slightly with a potato masher. Gently stir in cooled quinoa, the avocado, cucumber, lime juice, onion, cilantro, and jalapeno. Cover and chill for 30 minutes to 6 hours.
- To serve, stir ginger beer and pineapple juice into nectarine mixture. Ladle soup into bowls. If desired, top with crema. Garnish with Crispy-Spice Tortilla Strips.
From the Test Kitchen
If desired, peel cucumber before chopping.
Because hot chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Crispy-Spice Tortilla Strips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl combine oil, chili powder, and cinnamon. Brush oil mixture evenly over tortillas. Sprinkle with salt to taste. Roll up each tortilla and slice crosswise into long thin strips. If desired, cut strips in half. Spread strips on a baking sheet. Bake about 12 to 15 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack. Use immediately or store in a covered container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Facts (Quinoa-Nectarine Gazpacho with Crispy Spiced Tortilla Strips)
- Per serving:
- 168 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 241 mg sodium ,
- 29 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 13 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.