- Makes: 28 servings
- Yields: 2 loaves (14 slices each)
- Prep: 25 mins
- Bake: 40 mins to 45 mins 350°
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of two 8x4x2-inch loaf pans; set aside. In a large bowl, combine whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and baking soda. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, applesauce, yogurt, brown sugar, and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy.) Fold in nuts and raisins. Spoon batter evenly into prepared pans. Sprinkle with wheat germ.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool completely on wire rack. Wrap cooled loaves in plastic wrap; place in gift loaf pans.
Place bread loaf in a metal lid (or loaf pan). Cut a 4-inch-wide strip of paper and a contrasting 3-inch-wide strip. Adhere the 3-inch strip to the 4-inch strip. Using two small brads, attach a gift tag to the 3-inch strip. Wrap the paper around the lid and loaf; attach to the bottom of the lid using tape.