Spiced Pear-Cherry Bread
Include a container of easy Spiced Cream Cheese Butter when giving this moist cherry- and nut-studded bread as a Christmas gift.
- Makes: 28 servings
- Yields: 2 loaves (28 servings)
- Prep: 30 mins
- Bake: 55 mins 350°F for large loaves or 60 minutes for small loaves
- Stand: overnight
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of two 8x4x2-inch or 9x5x3-inch loaf pans; line bottoms of pans with waxed paper or parchment paper and set aside. In a small bowl, toss together cherries and 1 tablespoon of the flour; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the remaining flour, the baking powder, allspice, and salt; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs with a fork; stir in sugar, oil, milk or pear nectar, and vanilla. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture; stir just until combined. Fold in cherry mixture, pears, and nuts.
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared pans. Bake 8x4x2-inch pans for 60 to 65 minutes or 9x5x3-inch pans for 55 to 60 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the centers come out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Remove waxed paper or parchment paper. Cool completely on wire racks. Wrap and store overnight before slicing. If desired, serve with Spiced Cream Cheese Butter. Makes 2 loaves (28 servings).
If desired, bake one loaf of bread and set the remaining half of the batter aside to make muffins. For muffins, line forty-eight 1-3/4-inch (mini) muffin cups or twelve 2-1/2-inch regular-size muffin cups with foil or paper baking cups; set aside. Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees F. For 1-3/4-inch muffins, spoon about 1 tablespoon of the batter into each prepared cup. For 2-1/2-inch muffins, fill each prepared cup about two-thirds full. Bake mini muffins about 12 minutes or regular-size muffins for 18 to 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the centers comes out clean. Half of the batter will yield 4 dozen mini muffins or 12 regular-size muffins.
- In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and allspice. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating well. Cover and chill. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving. Makes about 1-1/4 cups (twenty 1-tablespoon servings).
- Per serving:
- 229 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 23 mg chol.,
- 120 mg sodium,
- 31 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet