12 ounce loaf baguette-style French bread
Nonstick cooking spray
cup olive oil
Dipping sauces, such as Red Pepper Sauce (see recipe below) or marinara sauce
Flavored oils, such as lemon, basil, or garlic (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degree F. Cut bread crosswise in half or into quarters. Cut each piece lengthwise in half, then into 1/4- to 1/2-inch strips. (It is helpful to cut bread so there is crust on each strip.)
- Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil; lightly coat with cooking spray. Arrange half of the breadsticks in a single layer; drizzle with half of the oil. Using a spatula or tongs, carefully turn breadsticks to coat with oil. Sprinkle with half of the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until browned and crisp. Repeat with remaining breadsticks, oil, and cheese. Transfer to a large serving bowl or platter. Serve with dipping sauces and/or flavored oils, if desired.
From the Test Kitchen
To store leftover breadsticks:
Place in a covered container and store at room temperature for 2 days or in the freezer up to 1 month. Makes 12 to 15 servings.
Red Pepper Sauce
red sweet peppers, coarsely chopped
cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil
cup dry white wine
cloves garlic, minced
tablespoons snipped flat-leaf parsley
teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large skillet cook red sweet peppers and shallots, in 1/4 cup olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat about 10 minutes, until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove skillet from heat.
- Add dry white wine garlic, 2 tablespoons parsley; salt; and black pepper. Stir to combine. Return to heat. Bring mixture to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes until peppers are very tender. Cool slightly.
- Transfer to a food processor. Add 2 tablespoons snipped flat-leaf parsley and 2 tablespoons olive oil; cover and process until almost smooth. Makes about 1-1/2 cups.
Nutrition Facts(Parmesan Breadsticks)
- Per serving:
- 179 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 7 g monounsatured fat),
- 4 mg chol.,
- 249 mg sodium,
- 15 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet