These biscuits taste great by themselves, or use the batter to make a flaky topping for a dessert cobbler.
- Makes: 16 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Bake: 15 hrs to 17 mins 375°F
- Preheat oven to 375 degree F. Lightly grease 2 cookie sheets or line with parchment paper; set aside. In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt with a fork until well combined.
- Add cream all at once. Stir gently with fork just until combined.
- Drop dough into about 16 mounds 1-inch apart on prepared cookie sheets using an ice cream scoop (#16 size) or 2 large spoons (if necessary, shape into mounds with hands). Bake 15 to 17 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Makes about 16 biscuits.
From the Test Kitchen
For Cheesy Biscuits:
Prepare Hurry-Up Biscuits as above, add 1 cup finely shredded or grated Parmesan cheese to flour mixture in Step 1.
Dough mounds can be frozen up to 1 month. To freeze, place mounds in a single layer on a baking sheet or tray. Cover and freeze until firm. When firm, place in freezer containers. Cover and freeze up to 1 month. To bake, arrange dough mounds on greased or parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake frozen mounds in a 375 degree F oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden.
Hurry-Up Biscuit Cobbler:
Prepare Hurry-Up Biscuits as directed; set aside. Meanwhile in a large saucepan combine 1 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons cornstarch, and 1/4 cup water. Stir in 6 cups (two 16-ounce packages) fresh or frozen unsweetened pitted tart red cherries. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Divide mixture among eight 8- to 12-ounce ovenproof coffee cups or individual casserole dishes. Drop 1 or 2 mounds of batter on top of each cup. (Freeze any remaining batter as directed in Make-Ahead instructions.) Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown and mixture is bubbly. Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Hurry-Up Biscuits)
- Per serving:
- 186 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 41 mg chol.,
- 217 mg sodium,
- 18 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 1 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet