- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 4 medium nectarines, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 small sprigs fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 medium or 3 small onions, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices (do not separate into rings)
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 ears fresh corn* or 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil
1. For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around the outside edge of the grill. Test for medium heat in center of grill where corn bread will bake. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking by turning off the center and back burner** [on a 3- or more burner grill] or a burner on one side [on a side-by side 2-burner grill].)Meanwhile, for Nectarine Jam::
2. Place nectarines in a medium bowl. Add granulated sugar and basil sprigs; toss to coat. Fold a 36x18-inch piece of heavy foil in half to make an 18-inch square. Place nectarine mixture in center of foil. Bring together 2 opposite edges of foil; seal with a double fold. Fold remaining edges together to enclose the nectarines, leaving space for steam to build; set aside.
3. Place the 2 tablespoons cooking oil in a 10-inch round or square cast-iron skillet. Arrange onion slices in bottom of skillet. Place skillet on grill rack away from direct heat (not over lit burners or coals). Cover grill. Grill for 5 minutes. Carefully turn onion slices; grill for 5 minutes more (onions will be partially cooked).
4. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. In a small bowl stir together eggs, buttermilk, and the 3 tablespoons cooking oil. Add buttermilk mixture to cornmeal mixture; stir until combined. Stir in corn.
5. Sprinkle brown sugar over onions in skillet on grill rack. Spoon corn bread batter into the hot skillet and spread evenly over onions with the back of a spoon. Place foil pouch of nectarines on grill rack over direct heat (over a lit burner or coals). Cover and do not remove grill lid or open grill for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, open lid. Carefully remove foil packet; set aside. Check doneness of corn bread (a toothpick inserted near the center should come out clean). If needed, give pan a half turn, replace cover and bake for 5 to 15 minutes more or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in skillet for 10 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, carefully open foil packet. Remove and discard basil sprigs. Transfer nectarines to a small bowl. Mash mixture slightly with a fork. Stir in the 1 tablespoon snipped basil. To serve, run knife around edge of skillet and invert corn bread onto a serving plate. Serve warm with cooked Nectarine Jam. Makes 8 servings.
- Remove husks from fresh ears of corn; scrub with a stiff brush to remove silks. Rinse. Cut kernels from cob.
- Prepare onions and nectarines as above. Instead of making the cornbread batter, prepare two 8-1/2-ounce packages of corn muffin mix according to package directions. Spoon over the hot onions. Grill as above.
- Servings Per Recipe 8,
- cal. (kcal) 303,
- Fat, total (g) 12,
- chol. (mg) 81,
- sat. fat (g) 2,
- carb. (g) 44,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 5,
- Polyunsaturated fat (g) 4,
- fiber (g) 4,
- sugar (g) 16,
- pro. (g) 8,
- vit. A (IU) 777,
- vit. C (mg) 6,
- sodium (mg) 466,
- calcium (mg) 101,
- iron (mg) 1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet