Grilled Skillet Corn Bread
- For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around the outside edge of the grill. Test for medium heat in center of grill where corn bread will bake. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking by turning off the center and back burner** [on a 3- or more burner grill] or a burner on one side [on a side-by side 2-burner grill].)
Meanwhile, for Nectarine Jam:
- Place nectarines in a medium bowl. Add granulated sugar and basil sprigs; toss to coat. Fold a 36x18-inch piece of heavy foil in half to make an 18-inch square. Place nectarine mixture in center of foil. Bring together 2 opposite edges of foil; seal with a double fold. Fold remaining edges together to enclose the nectarines, leaving space for steam to build; set aside.
- Place the 2 tablespoons cooking oil in a 10-inch round or square cast-iron skillet. Arrange onion slices in bottom of skillet. Place skillet on grill rack away from direct heat (not over lit burners or coals). Cover grill. Grill for 5 minutes. Carefully turn onion slices; grill for 5 minutes more (onions will be partially cooked).
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. In a small bowl stir together eggs, buttermilk, and the 3 tablespoons cooking oil. Add buttermilk mixture to cornmeal mixture; stir until combined. Stir in corn.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over onions in skillet on grill rack. Spoon corn bread batter into the hot skillet and spread evenly over onions with the back of a spoon. Place foil pouch of nectarines on grill rack over direct heat (over a lit burner or coals). Cover and do not remove grill lid or open grill for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, open lid. Carefully remove foil packet; set aside. Check doneness of corn bread (a toothpick inserted near the center should come out clean). If needed, give pan a half turn, replace cover and bake for 5 to 15 minutes more or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in skillet for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, carefully open foil packet. Remove and discard basil sprigs. Transfer nectarines to a small bowl. Mash mixture slightly with a fork. Stir in the 1 tablespoon snipped basil. To serve, run knife around edge of skillet and invert corn bread onto a serving plate. Serve warm with cooked Nectarine Jam. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Remove husks from fresh ears of corn; scrub with a stiff brush to remove silks. Rinse. Cut kernels from cob.
Easy Grilled Skillet Corn Bread:
Prepare onions and nectarines as above. Instead of making the cornbread batter, prepare two 8-1/2-ounce packages of corn muffin mix according to package directions. Spoon over the hot onions. Grill as above.
Nutrition Facts (Grilled Skillet Corn Bread)
- Per serving:
- 303 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 81 mg chol.,
- 466 mg sodium,
- 44 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 16 g sugar,
- 8 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet