Gingerbread Loaves with Lemon Icing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottoms and halfway up the sides of two 5 3/4x3x2-inch loaf pans; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside. In another bowl, whisk together egg, molasses, oil, brown sugar, and milk. Add egg mixture all at once to the flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Divide batter between the prepared pans, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Drizzle tops of loaves with Lemon Icing. If desired, garnish with crystallized ginger.
- In a bowl, stir together powdered sugar and lemon juice. Stir in enough milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make an icing of drizzling consistency.