Flax Soda Bread
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet; set aside. In a large bowl stir together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, ground flax seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside.
- In a small bowl stir together the 2 eggs, the buttermilk, and honey. Add egg mixture to flour mixture all at once. Using a fork, stir just until moistened. Stir in flax seeds. (Dough will be sticky.)
- Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface. With well-floured hands, knead dough by folding and gently pressing it for 10 to 12 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth. On the prepared baking sheet pat the dough into a 7-inch oval loaf. With a sharp knife cut a 4-inch cross, 1/4 inch deep, on the top of the loaf. Lightly brush with the remaining egg.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove bread from baking sheet; serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
To make sour milk, place 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1/2 cup liquid. Let mixture stand for a few minutes before using.
Nutrition Facts (Flax Soda Bread)
- Per serving:
- 166 kcal cal.,
- 7 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 16 mg chol.,
- 227 mg sodium,
- 20 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet