Currant-Orange Irish Soda Bread
teaspoon baking powder
teaspoon baking soda
tablespoon finely shredded orange peel
egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet, set aside. In a large mixing bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and orange peel. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in currants. Make a well in the center of the mixture.
- In a small mixing bowl combine egg and buttermilk. Add all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened.
- On a lightly floured surface gently knead dough to form a dough (about 4 or 5 times). Shape into a 7-inch round loaf.
- Transfer dough to prepared baking sheet. With a sharp knife, make 2 slashes across the top of the loaf to form an X, cutting all the way to the edge. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts(Currant-Orange Irish Soda Bread)
- Per serving:
- 129 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 26 mg chol.,
- 192 mg sodium,
- 21 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet