Currant-Orange Irish Soda Bread
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet, set aside. In a large mixing bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and orange peel. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in currants. Make a well in the center of the mixture.
- In a small mixing bowl combine egg and buttermilk. Add all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened.
- On a lightly floured surface gently knead dough to form a dough (about 4 or 5 times). Shape into a 7-inch round loaf.
- Transfer dough to prepared baking sheet. With a sharp knife, make 2 slashes across the top of the loaf to form an X, cutting all the way to the edge. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts (Currant-Orange Irish Soda Bread)
- Per serving:
- 129 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 26 mg chol.,
- 192 mg sodium,
- 21 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet