Classic Buttermilk Biscuits
- Heat oven to 500 degrees F. In large bowl whisk together flour, homemade baking powder, and kosher salt. Add lard, coating in flour. Working quickly, rub lard between fingertips until roughly half the lard is coarsely blended and half remains in large pieces, about 3/4 inch.
- Make a well in center of flour mixture. Add buttermilk all at once. With a large spoon stir mixture quickly, just until it is blended and begins to mass and form a sticky dough. (If dough appears dry, add 1 to 2 tablespoons additional buttermilk.)
- Immediately turn dough onto generously floured surface. Using floured hands, knead briskly 8 to 10 times until cohesive ball of dough forms. Gently flatten dough with hands to even thickness. Using floured rolling pin, lightly roll dough to a 3/4-inch thickness.
- Using a dinner fork dipped in flour, pierce dough completely through at 1/2-inch intervals. Flour a 2 1/2- or 3-inch biscuit cutter. Stamp out rounds and arrange on heavy baking sheet. Add dough pieces, as-is, to baking sheet.
- Place on rack in upper third of oven. Bake 8 to 12 minutes until crusty and golden brown. Remove. Brush with melted butter. Serve hot.
Homemade Baking Powder
- In a small bowl combine cream of tartar and baking soda. Sift together 3 times. Transfer to a clean, tight-sealing jar. Store at room temperature, away from sunlight, for up to 6 weeks.
Nutrition Facts (Classic Buttermilk Biscuits)
- Per serving:
- 231 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 8 mg chol. ,
- 200 mg sodium ,
- 26 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 6 g pro.
cpjordon 256 Days Ago
This recipe has been stolen from the original creator, Mrs. Edna Lewis, who collaborated with Scott York on the cookbook The Gift of Southern Cooking! I am appalled Scott is claiming the recipe along with the homemade baking powder is his own creation!!! He clevedrly changed the name to Classic Buttermilk Biscuits instead of Hot Crusty Buttermilk Biscuits as published in the cookbook! The recipes are found on p. 230 - Homemade Baking Powder and p. 232 - Hot Crusty Buttermilk Biscuits. What a shame BHG does not vet the true sources for recipes published in its magazine. Shame of both BHG & Scott York.
Helen Maddox 514 Days Ago
I just made these biscuits this morning and they reminded me of my mom's baking powder biscuits. I used lard and that is what makes them flaky and have that nice crisp top. Love them!I'm not sure what the piercing by the fork does unless it helps them to cook even. Never heard of that either but I did it.
Melba Roe 522 Days Ago
might I ask what is the purpose of piercing the dough? this is close to my basic recipe but I have never saw or heard of this being done on biscuits.
Larry Johnson 522 Days Ago
For Southern style biscuits, substitute 1½ to 2 cups cake flour for the same amount of all-purpose flour. For genuine Southern style, use bleached all-purpose flour. My grandma used to knead not to a count but to the names of Christ's disciples, and nobody at her house was late for breakfast... .. , .