Brandy-Soaked Currant, Thyme, and Parmesan Scones
cup dried currants
cup brandy or apple juice
cup finely shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (3 ounces)
tablespoon baking powder
tablespoon finely snipped fresh thyme
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
cup whipping cream
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a small saucepan combine currants and brandy. Heat over medium heat just until warm. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Drain.
- In a food processor* combine flour, 1/2 cup of the cheese, the baking powder, sugar, thyme, pepper, and salt; cover and pulse with several on/off turns to combine. Sprinkle butter pieces over flour mixture; cover and pulse with several on/off turns until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add drained currants; cover and pulse with several on/off turns to combine. With the motor running, slowly add whipping cream through the feed tube, processing just until combined.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Quickly knead dough by folding and gently pressing for 10 to 12 strokes or just until dough holds together. Pat or lightly roll the dough to an 8-inch circle, about 3/4-inch thick. In a small bowl whisk together egg and the water; brush over dough circle. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Using a pizza cutter or floured sharp knife, cut dough circle into eight wedges. Cover and chill for 30 minutes to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake in the preheated oven about 20 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Tip:
If you don't have a food processor, in a large bowl use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Nutrition Facts(Brandy-Soaked Currant, Thyme, and Parmesan Scones)
- Per serving:
- 311 kcal cal.,
- 16 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 75 mg chol.,
- 467 mg sodium,
- 31 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 8 g sugar,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet