- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of one 9x5x3-inch or two 7-1/2x3-1/2x2-inch loaf pans; set aside. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine eggs, banana, sugar, and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Fold in nuts. Spoon batter into prepared pan(s). If desired, sprinkle Streusel Topping over batter.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes for 9x5x3-inch pan or 40 to 45 minutes for 7-1/2x3-1/2x2-inch pans or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean (if necessary, cover loosely with foil the last 15 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning). Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely on a wire rack. Wrap and store overnight before slicing.
- Makes 1 loaf (16 slices) banana bread.
- In a small bowl combine brown sugar and flour. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in walnuts.
Nutrition Facts (Banana Bread)
- Per serving:
- 215 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 27 mg chol.,
- 122 mg sodium,
- 32 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 18 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
How To Video
melissabeecrof 86 Days Ago
I have been using this recipe for years now. It's delicious the way it is but I do occasionally change it up a little to make it healthier. I made it tonight and used whole wheat flour instead of all purpose and used canola oil as the "cooking oil" called for. It's still delicious and has a little more texture to it due to the WW flour. 5 stars from me!
Holly Otto 550 Days Ago
I used this recipe it is so good ! I added 1 sliced apple, 1/2 cup frozen thawed blueberries-( coated with a sprinkle of sugar and flour to hold their shape), 4 mashed bananas, 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar. 1/2 tsp almond extract, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and 1/8 tsp pumpkin pie spice ( I was out of nutmeg) and used 1/2 cup oil. Baked at 350 degrees for 70 minutes then I wrapped it foil while still warm and sliced it in the morning.
Katie Serafin 1490 Days Ago
This recipe is PERFECT as-is! I have been using this recipe for a long time. The key is letting it sit overnight wrapped in foil before slicing. This makes it so moist. Love to warm it in the microwave and put some butter on it.
Carol Barringer 1563 Days Ago
This is very similar to my standard banana bread (which uses only baking soda, no baking powder). To increase the nutritional value, I always add ground flax meal and either wheat germ or oat bran (1/4 cup of each) plus something for a bit more moisture -- an extra-large banana, a spoonful of sour cream, a couple T's of milk, or a little oil. I also substitute whole wheat flour for half the flour in the recipe. I like the slightly deeper, more complex flavor of these additions.