- Yields: 20 doughnuts and holes
- Prep: 50 mins
- Cook: 45 mins (applesauce); 2 minutes per batch (doughnuts)
- Chill: 1 hr
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, the 1 tablespoon cinnamon, the salt, and baking soda. In another large bowl whisk together eggs and egg yolk. Add sugar, the 1 cup Homemade Applesauce, the buttermilk, and melted butter; whisk until well mixed. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture. Use your hands to mix together until all of the flour is moistened. Cover and chill dough about 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to a 1/2 inch thickness. Cut dough with a floured 2 1/2-inch doughnut cutter, rerolling dough as necessary. Fry doughnuts, two or three doughnuts and doughnut holes at a time, in deep hot oil (365 degrees F) for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden, turning once. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Dip warm doughnuts and doughnut holes in Applesauce Icing. If desired, serve with whipped cream and/or additional applesauce; sprinkle with additional cinnamon and/or nutmeg. If desired, garnish with apple peel ribbons.
- In a medium bowl combine powdered sugar, Homemade Applesauce or unsweetened applesauce, and water. Whisk together until smooth. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
- In a Dutch oven combine red cooking apples; granulated sugar; apple juice or apple cider; and ground cinnamon. Bring to boiling; reduce heat to low. Cook for 45 to 60 minutes or until apples are soft enough to puree. Transfer apple mixture to a blender or food processor. Cover and blend or process until sauce texture. (If you prefer, use a hand blender to puree the apple mixture.) Makes about 3 1/2 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Applesauce Doughnuts)
- Per serving:
- 367 kcal cal.,
- 17 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 10 g monounsatured fat),
- 38 mg chol.,
- 234 mg sodium,
- 51 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 31 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet