- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded, peeled apple (about 4 medium)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 Recipe Streusel-Nut Topping
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of an 9x5x3-inch loaf pan; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Beat in sugar until combined. Add buttermilk and baking powder; beat until combined. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until combined. Add flour and salt; beat until combined. Stir in apple, nuts, and raisins.
3. Spoon batter into prepared pan; spread evenly. Sprinkle Streusel-Nut Topping over batter. Bake for 60 to 65 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
4. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack. Wrap and store overnight before slicing. Makes 1 loaf (14 servings).
- To make 1/4 cup sour milk, place 3/4 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1/4 cup total liquid; stir. Let mixture stand for 5 minutes before using.
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and flour. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in walnuts or pecans.
- Servings Per Recipe 14,
- cal. (kcal) 326,
- Fat, total (g) 17,
- chol. (mg) 52,
- sat. fat (g) 6,
- carb. (g) 42,
- fiber (g) 2,
- pro. (g) 5,
- vit. A (IU) 292,
- vit. C (mg) 2,
- sodium (mg) 193,
- calcium (mg) 40,
- iron (mg) 1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet