Sugar and Spice Steamed Pudding
- Grease and flour a 2-1/2-quart heatproof bowl; set aside. In a small bowl stir together 1-3/4 cups of the flour, the baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter on medium to high 30 seconds. Beat in sugar until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating on low after each. Alternately add flour mixture and milk, beating on low after each. Toss together 2 cups of the candied fruit with remaining 3/4 cup flour. Stir into beaten mixture. Pour into prepared bowl. Cover with greased foil, folding the foil over the edge and pressing against side of bowl.
- Place bowl on rack* in Dutch oven; add water 1 inch up sides of bowl. Cover, bring water to boiling. Reduce to simmering. Steam 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until a wooden skewer inserted in center comes out clean. Check water level every 30 minutes or so and add boiling water as needed.
- Carefully remove bowl from Dutch oven; remove foil. Let stand for 10 minutes; unmold onto a serving plate. Cool 30 minutes. (See Make-ahead instructions, below.))Drizzle with Powdered Sugar Icing and top with remaining candied fruit and peels. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- If you do not have a rack to fit inside your Dutch oven, place a few canning lid rings in the bottom, then stand the bowl on top of them. Makes 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
If you do not have a rack that will fit inside your Dutch oven, place a few canning lid rings in the bottom of your Dutch oven so the bowl will stand flat on top of them.
Wrap and store cooled, unfrosted pudding in the refrigerator up to 1 week. To reheat, wrap unfrosted pudding in foil and place on a baking sheet. Reheat in 325 degree F oven for 30 minutes or until heated through. Just before serving, glaze the pudding and top with candied fruit.
Powdered Sugar Icing
- In a small bowl combine 1 cup powdered sugar and enough milk (4 to 5 teaspoons) to make a drizzling consistency.
Nutrition Facts(Sugar and Spice Steamed Pudding)
- Per serving:
- 400 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 58 mg chol.,
- 258 mg sodium,
- 77 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 59 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet