Rice Pudding Souffle with Raspberry Sauce
cups half-and-half, light cream, or whole milk
cup arborio rice or other short-grain rice
vanilla bean, slit lengthwise
recipe Raspberry Sauce
Fresh lemon balm sprigs (optional)
- In a large saucepan bring half-and-half almost to a boil. Add rice, the 1/4 cup sugar, butter, vanilla bean, and salt; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until rice is just tender, stirring often. Remove from heat. Cool 45 minutes. (If a skin forms on top while rice cools, stir occasionally.) Remove vanilla bean and scrape insides of bean into the rice mixture; discard bean. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 2-quart souffle dish; set aside. In a large mixing bowl beat egg yolks with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until thick and lemon colored, about 5 minutes. Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar, beating until thickened and sugar is almost dissolved, about 5 minutes. Set egg yolk mixture aside.
- Thoroughly wash beaters. In another large mixing bowl beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the cooled rice mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Fold 1 cup of the egg whites into the yolk mixture. Fold egg yolk mixture into remaining egg whites. Pour into the prepared dish. Place souffle dish in a 2-quart square baking dish. Place baking dish on the oven rack. Pour boiling water into the baking dish to the depth of 1 inch.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until set. Cool about 10 minutes on a wire rack. Serve warm with Raspberry Sauce spooned over top. If desired, garnish with lemon balm.
cups fresh or thawed frozen raspberries
teaspoons raspberry liqueur
- Place raspberries in a food processor or blender. Process or blend until berries are pureed. Press mixture through a fine-mesh sieve; discard seeds. In a small saucepan stir together sugar and cornstarch. Add sieved berries. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature. If desired, stir in raspberry liqueur. To store sauce, cover and chill in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Facts(Rice Pudding Souffle with Raspberry Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 344 kcal cal.,
- 20 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat,
- 158 mg chol.,
- 302 mg sodium,
- 36 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 8 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet