Pumpkin Bread Pudding
cups whipping cream
5 croissants or 10 oz. egg bread, torn (about 6 cups)
cups roasted, shelled chestnuts, crumbled, or one 8- to 10-oz. can chestnuts, drained and crumbled
cup granulated sugar
cup packed brown sugar
pound roasted pumpkin flesh or hard squash flesh, mashed (2 cups) or one 15-oz. can pumpkin
cups dried currants or golden raisins
tablespoons butter, melted
teaspoon ground cardamom
teaspoon ground ginger
Seeds of one vanilla bean* or 2 tsp. vanilla extract
Molasses Cream (recipe below)
Fresh thyme (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 2-1/2- to 3-quart casserole; set aside. In large bowl combine whipping cream and milk. Add torn croissants and chestnuts. Gently press until everything is covered by the milk mixture. Let stand while preparing custard.
- For custard, combine eggs, egg yolk, sugars, pumpkin, currants, melted butter, spices, and vanilla in the top insert of a large double boiler (or in a large heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water). Place double boiler over medium heat and stir constantly until warm mixture is warm and sugars have dissolved. Fold into croissant mixture. Pour all into prepared casserole. Bake, uncovered, 50 minutes or until set. Serve warm with Molasses Cream and thyme. Store any remaining bread pudding in refrigerator up to 2 days. Makes 12 servings.
- Cut an X on flat side of each chestnut. Place in baking pan. Roast at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes, tossing occasionally. Peel chestnuts while still warm.
- Wash, halve lengthwise, and remove seeds of pie pumpkin or hard (winter) squash. Place halves, cut sides down, in baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 55 minutes or until tender; cool. Scrape flesh from shell with a spoon.
Roasting Pumpkin or Squash:
From the Test Kitchen
To remove seeds from vanilla bean, use small knife to split bean in half lengthwise. Using tip of knife, scrape out the small black seeds from each half, discard pod, or add to Vanilla Bean-Verbena Sugar, see recipe center.
Molasses Whipped Cream
cup whipping cream
tablespoon powdered sugar
Pumpkin pie spice, apple pie spice or ground cinnamon
- In a chilled mixing bowl combine whipping cream, powdered sugar, and molasses. Beat with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Spoon into serving bowl. Sprinkle lightly with pumpkin pie spice, apple pie spice, or ground cinnamon.
Nutrition Facts(Pumpkin Bread Pudding)
- Per serving:
- 781 kcal cal.,
- 39 g fat
- (23 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 11 g monounsatured fat),
- 231 mg chol.,
- 320 mg sodium,
- 103 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 77 g sugar,
- 10 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet