- Soak prunes in brandy or orange juice, covered, in a cool place for 2 hours or overnight or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Do not drain. Stir shredded apple, walnuts, candied fruits and peels, and orange peel into prune mixture; set aside.
- Grease and flour a 12-cup fluted tube mold or pan; set aside. Stir together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, ginger, and nutmeg; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Beat in brown sugar until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating on low speed just until combined (do not overbeat). Add flour mixture alternately with milk, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Stir in prune mixture.
- Spread butter into prepared mold. Lightly grease a square of foil; cover mold with foil, greased side down. Press foil slightly against the rim of mold. Place mold on a rack in a deep kettle containing 1 inch of simmering water. Cover kettle; steam pudding over low heat for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean, adding additional boiling water to kettle if necessary. Remove from kettle. Remove foil. Cool 15 minutes. Carefully invert; remove pudding from mold. Cool slightly on wire rack. If desired, serve warm with Hard Sauce. Makes 18 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Cool completely and wrap in 100-percent cotton cheesecloth moistened with additional brandy or orange juice. Wrap tightly with foil and store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. To reheat, unwrap pudding and remove cheesecloth; return pudding to the mold or pan. Cover tightly with foil; place on a rack in kettle containing 1 inch of simmering water. Cover kettle; steam over low heat for 30 to 40 minutes or until heated through.
- Beat together butter and powdered sugar until fluffy. Beat in brandy, rum, or orange juice and vanilla. Store, covered, in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving. Makes 1-1/4 cups.
Nutrition Facts(Plum Pudding)
- Per serving:
- 290 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 50 mg chol.,
- 171 mg sodium,
- 44 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet