- Makes: 10 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Chill: 2 hrs to 6 hrs
- Bake: 35 mins 200°F /350 degree F
Oaxacan Coconut Flan
cups half-and-half or light cream
cup canned cream of coconut, well stirred
cup dark rum
teaspoon ground allspice
- Place an 8x1-1/2-inch round baking pan in oven. Heat oven to 200 degrees F.
- For caramel, in a heavy small saucepan combine sugar and the water. Cook over medium heat, without stirring, about 13 minutes or until amber-colored.
- Using oven mitts, remove baking pan from oven. Carefully pour sugar mixture into baking pan, turning pan until bottom and sides of pan are coated. Let stand on a wire rack until cool. Lightly butter any uncoated spots on pan.
- Increase oven temperature to 350 degrees F. In a small saucepan combine half-and-half and cream of coconut. Bring to boiling, stirring occasionally.
- In a medium bowl whisk together eggs and egg yolks. Slowly whisk coconut cream mixture into egg mixture; add rum, vanilla, and allspice.
- Place coated baking pan in a small roasting pan. Pour egg mixture into coated pan. Place on middle rack in oven. Pour enough boiling water into roasting pan to come halfway up baking pan.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or just until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let cool in pan on a wire rack. Chill for 2 to 6 hours.
- To serve, run a knife around edge of baking pan. Invert serving platter on top of baking pan; carefully turn platter and pan over together, letting caramel run over top and side of flan. Remove baking pan. Sprinkle flan with toasted coconut.
Nutrition Facts (Oaxacan Coconut Flan)
- Per serving:
- 206 kcal cal.,
- 15 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat,
- 146 mg chol.,
- 71 mg sodium,
- 13 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet