- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a medium bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar. Whisk until combined.
- In a small saucepan, combine half-and-half and espresso powder; heat just to a boil. Gradually whisk hot cream mixture into yolk mixture. Stir in liqueur. Pour mixture evenly into eight 6-ounce ramekins or oven-safe mugs.
- Place ramekins in two 13x9x2-inch baking pans. Pour enough boiling water into the pans to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake about 40 minutes or until centers appear nearly set when lightly shaken. Carefully remove pans from oven. Remove ramekins from water; cool on a wire rack. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Before serving, let custards stand at room temperature for 20 minutes. Sprinkle custards evenly with turbinado sugar. Place on a baking sheet. Caramelize sugar with a culinary torch or broil 4 to 5 inches from heat for 4 to 5 minutes.* Serve immediately. If desired, serve with whipping cream. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Tip:
Choose the culinary torch if your dishes are not broiler-safe.