- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 8 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 1/2 cups half-and-half or light cream
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 2 tablespoons coffee liqueur or strong brewed coffee
- 1/3 cup turbinado sugar
- Whipping cream (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a medium bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar. Whisk until combined.
2. In a small saucepan, combine half-and-half and espresso powder; heat just to a boil. Gradually whisk hot cream mixture into yolk mixture. Stir in liqueur. Pour mixture evenly into eight 6-ounce ramekins or oven-safe mugs.
3. Place ramekins in two 13x9x2-inch baking pans. Pour enough boiling water into the pans to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
4. Bake about 40 minutes or until centers appear nearly set when lightly shaken. Carefully remove pans from oven. Remove ramekins from water; cool on a wire rack. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
5. Before serving, let custards stand at room temperature for 20 minutes. Sprinkle custards evenly with turbinado sugar. Place on a baking sheet. Caramelize sugar with a culinary torch or broil 4 to 5 inches from heat for 4 to 5 minutes.* Serve immediately. If desired, serve with whipping cream. Makes 8 servings.
- Choose the culinary torch if your dishes are not broiler-safe.