- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups half-and-half or light cream
- 5 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Creme Fraiche Topping*
1. In a medium saucepan combine brown sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in half-and-half. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
2. Gradually stir about 1 cup of the hot mixture into egg yolks. Return egg yolk mixture to saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil; reduce heat. Cook and and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla.
3. Pour pudding into a large bowl. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Chill for 4 to 5 hours or until well chilled. Serve with Creme Fraiche Topping.
- Try one of these additional topping ideas: chopped chocolate-covered English toffee or dried tart cherries.
- 2 tablespoons goat cheese (chevre)
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- freshly grated nutmeg
1. In a small serving bowl combine goat cheese, creme fraiche, and sugar. Sprinkle lightly with freshly grated nutmeg.