Fresh Basil and Navy Bean Soup
Chopped kalamata olives give the soup a briny pop. Add them right before serving so the soup doesnt get too salty.
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 ounces dried medium shell pasta (1 1/3 cups)
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 15 ounce can navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup fresh arugula
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Kalamata olives
- Parmesan cheese
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven bring broth to boiling. Add the pasta, undrained tomatoes, and crushed red pepper, if desired. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until pasta is just tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients; heat through. Season to taste. Top with Parmesan cheese and kalamata olives.
From the Test Kitchen
Stir in 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives, coarsely chopped, and top soup with grated Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Facts (Fresh Basil and Navy Bean Soup)
- Per serving:
- 293 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 30 mg chol. ,
- 1114 mg sodium ,
- 39 g carb. ,
- 7 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 23 g pro.