Braised Collard Greens
Ham bones lend a similar salty and meaty flavor to the pork that's traditionally used by soul food cooks.
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh collard greens
- 3 meaty ham bones (about 3 pounds total)
- 4 cups water
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Wash collard greens thoroughly. Cut off and discard stems. Coarsely chop collard greens. Set aside.
- Add ham bones to a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Add the water, onion, sugar, crushed red pepper, and salt. Top with collard greens.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for about 6 hours or on high-heat setting for about 3 hours or until collard greens are tender.
- Remove ham bones; cool slightly. When ham bones are cool enough to handle, cut meat off bones. Chop meat; discard bones. Stir meat into mixture in slow cooker.
- To serve, use a slotted spoon to spoon greens mixture into a bowl, draining off any excess liquid.
Nutrition Facts (Braised Collard Greens)
- Per serving:
- 87 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 17 mg chol. ,
- 108 mg sodium ,
- 9 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.