Share your take on this idea!
Upload your photo here.
Upload your photo here.
Classic Pound Cake
- Let eggs stand at room temperature about 30 minutes or until they are room temperature (no more than 2 hours). Generously butter and lightly flour two 8x4x2-inch loaf pans or one 10-inch tube pan. Using large bowl of heavy-duty stand mixer with paddle attachment beat cold butter about 2 minutes on low speed, occasionally raising to moderately high speed for 5 seconds to dislodge butter from paddle.
- Add cream cheese. Beat on low speed 3 minutes with occasional short bursts on high speed to dislodge mixture from paddle. Beat butter and cream cheese mixture until waxy and well-blended. Still mixing on low, add the sugar in a slow continuous stream. (This should take 1-1/2 to 2 minutes). Add salt. Continue creaming butter and cream cheese mixture for 5 minutes, scraping sides and bottom of bowl once halfway through. Increase speed to medium; continue mixing 2 minutes more, scraping once.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating 20 to 30 seconds after each addition or just until each egg is fully incorporated before adding the next egg. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl after first three eggs. Beat in vanilla with the last egg.
- Gradually add about 2-1/2 cups of the flour on low speed, mixing until just blended (this should take about 1 to 1-1/2 minutes). Turn off mixer. Fold in remaining flour by hand with a rubber spatula, just until combined.
- Turn batter into prepared pan(s). Shake pan(s) gently to distribute batter. Run a spatula in zigzag pattern through batter. Drop filled pan(s) from a height of about 6 inches onto kitchen counter to dislodge any large air pockets.
- Place on center rack of cold oven. Turn oven setting to 300 degrees F. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes to 1-1/2 hours without opening oven door for the first 1 hour and 15 minutes. (Bake 1 hour 45 minutes for tube pan.) Test for doneness by carefully inserting a cake tester in center of cake or gently removing cake from oven and listening for light bubbling sounds that soften and slow as cake approaches doneness.
- Transfer to cooling rack. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans. Cool completely before serving. Makes 2 loaves (24 servings) or one 10-inch tube cake.
From the Test Kitchen
2-1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour can be used in place of the cake flour.
Nutrition Facts (Classic Pound Cake)
- Per serving:
- 272 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 84 mg chol.,
- 127 mg sodium,
- 37 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 23 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet