Tortellini and Garden Vegetable Bake
ounces dried cheese-filled tortellini (2-1/2 cups) or two 9-ounce packages refrigerated tortellini
medium carrot, thinly sliced
cups sugar snap peas, halved crosswise
tablespoon margarine or butter
pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
cup sliced fresh mushrooms
cup chicken broth
teaspoon garlic salt
8 ounce package cream cheese or light cream cheese (Neufchatel), cubed and softened
tablespoon lemon juice
cup quartered cherry tomatoes
small red or green sweet pepper, coarsely chopped
tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook tortellini in boiling salted water according to package directions, adding the carrot during the last 5 minutes of cooking and the sugar snap peas during the last 1 minute of cooking; drain.
- Meanwhile, heat margarine or butter in a 12-inch skillet. Add chicken and mushrooms, and cook about 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove from skillet.
- Shake together chicken broth, oregano, flour, garlic salt, and pepper in a screw-top jar until smooth. Add to skillet along with milk. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; add cream cheese. Cook and stir until cream cheese is smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice. Add pasta mixture, chicken mixture, tomatoes, and sweet pepper. Toss to coat. Turn into an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking dish or shallow 3-quart casserole.
- Bake, covered, in a 350 degrees F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through. Stir mixture and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Transport in an insulated carrier. Makes 12 main-dish servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed but don't bake it. Instead, cover and chill up to 24 hours. Bake, covered, in a 350 degrees F oven about 55 minutes or until hot.
Nutrition Facts(Tortellini and Garden Vegetable Bake)
- Per serving:
- 247 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 43 mg chol.,
- 477 mg sodium,
- 17 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 15 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet