- In a large skillet brown sausage over medium heat; drain. Remove from skillet; set aside.
- In the same skillet cook onion, sweet pepper, and celery in hot butter over medium heat until tender; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine bread cubes and corn bread. Add cooked sausage, onion mixture, poultry seasoning, black pepper, and, if desired, pecans. Drizzle with enough broth to moisten (about 1 cup), tossing lightly to combine. Transfer to a 2-quart casserole. Bake, covered, in a 325 degree oven for 30 to 45 minutes or until heated through.
- Or use bread mixture to stuff one 10- to 12-pound turkey. (See stuffing tips.) Place any remaining stuffing in a casserole; drizzle with enough of the remaining chicken broth (1/4 to 1/2 cup) to make a stuffing of desired moistness. Cover and chill until ready to bake. Bake, covered, in a 325 degree oven alongside turkey for 40 to 45 minutes or until heated through. (For doneness temperatures and roasting times, see roasting chart.) Makes 10 to 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Quick Sausage Stuffing:
Prepare as above, except substitute 3 cups corn bread stuffing mix (one 8-ounce package) for the 4-1/2 cups crumbled corn bread. Reduce poultry seasoning to 1/2 teaspoon; omit the black pepper. Substitute water for the broth.
Nutrition Facts (Sausage Stuffing)
- Per serving:
- 373 kcal cal.,
- 24 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 8 g monounsatured fat),
- 62 mg chol.,
- 686 mg sodium,
- 29 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 1 g sugar,
- 8 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet