Roast Chicken Southwestern-Style
- Brush chicken with 1 tablespoon oil. In a small bowl combine oregano and cumin; sprinkle over the outside of the bird, then rub into skin. Place 6 lime wedges and 2 cilantro sprigs in body cavity. Tuck the drumsticks under the band of skin that crosses the tail. If there is no band, tie drumsticks to the tail. Twist the wing tips under the chicken.
- Place chicken, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow pan. Insert a meat thermometer into the center of one of the thigh muscles. The bulb should not touch the bone. Roast, uncovered, in a 325 degree F oven for 1-3/4 to 2-1/2 hours or until meat thermometer registers 180 degree F. At this time, chicken is no longer pink and the drumsticks move easily in their sockets. When the bird is two-thirds done, cut the band of skin or string between the drumsticks so the thighs cook more evenly.
- Meanwhile, for black bean salsa, in a bowl combine black beans, tomato, cucumber, green onion, cilantro or parsley, lime peel, lime juice, 1 tablespoon oil, garlic, and salt. Mix well. Cover and chill until serving time.
- Remove chicken from oven and cover it with foil. Let chicken stand for 10 to 20 minutes before carving. Serve black bean salsa with chicken. Garnish with additional cilantro and lime wedges, if desired. Makes 10 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare salsa; cover and chill up to 12 hours.
Nutrition Facts (Roast Chicken Southwestern-Style)
- Per serving:
- 310 kcal cal.,
- 16 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 93 mg chol.,
- 214 mg sodium,
- 9 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 35 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet