- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh herbs (such as basil, rosemary, marjoram, or sage) or 4 teaspoons dried mixed herbs, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 3 pound whole broiler-fryer chicken
- 2 cups 1/2-inch-long carrot pieces
- 1 cup pearl onions, peeled
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 10 ounce package frozen peas, thawed
- Fresh rosemary (optional)
1. For herb rub, combine the herbs, salt, and pepper. Rinse chicken; pat dry with paper towels. Loosen skin on chicken breast. Using your fingers, carefully spread half of the herb rub under the skin. Skewer neck skin to back; tie legs to tail. Twist wings under back.
2. Place chicken, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. If desired, insert a meat thermometer into center of an inside thigh muscle. Roast, uncovered, in a 375 degree F oven for 30 minutes.
3. In a 1-1/2-quart casserole combine carrots and onions. Toss with the remaining herb rub and the olive oil. Cover; place in oven. Roast about 45 minutes more or until chicken is no longer pink, juices run clear (the meat thermometer, if using, should register 180 degrees F), and vegetables are tender, adding peas to the casserole the last 15 minutes of roasting. If desired, garnish with fresh rosemary. Makes 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6,
- cal. (kcal) 293,
- Fat, total (g) 14,
- chol. (mg) 79,
- sat. fat (g) 4,
- carb. (g) 13,
- fiber (g) 4,
- pro. (g) 27,
- sodium (mg) 230,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet