Grilled Chicken Mole Sandwich
- For mole, remove stem and seeds from peppers; coarsely chop peppers and set aside. In a large skillet cook onion and garlic in hot oil over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until onions are brown. Add the dried peppers and 1/2 cup water; reduce heat and stir in chocolate.
- Cook and stir over medium heat, uncovered, for 3 to 5 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Cool slightly. Transfer mixture to a food processor bowl or blender container; cover and process or blend until a smooth paste. Set aside to cool. Reserve 1 to 2 tablespoons mole.
- Season chicken with salt, if desired. Using a sharp knife, carefully butterfly-cut each breast; spread inside face of each breast with mole. Fold closed.
- Rub the outside of each breast with reserved mole. Grill breasts on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 12 to 15 minutes or until tender and no longer pink, turning once halfway through. Cover and chill.
- In a small bowl stir together avocado, light mayonnaise dressing, salt, and the ground red pepper, if desired. Slice chicken into 1/4- to 1/2-inch-thick slices. Spread avocado mixture on split rolls; layer with chicken, romaine, and tomato slices. Garnish with sliced papaya. Serve open-faced. Makes 4 sandwiches.
From the Test Kitchen
Up to 8 hours ahead, prepare and grill the chicken. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
Nutrition Facts (Grilled Chicken Mole Sandwich)
- Per serving:
- 524 kcal cal.,
- 24 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 59 mg chol.,
- 448 mg sodium,
- 52 g carb.,
- 7 g fiber,
- 28 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet