Cranberry-Sauced Meatballs Appetizer
Tender chicken or turkey meatballs studded with cranberries take on a glorious flavor when they're simmered in a snappy cranberry-flavored barbecue sauce.
- Yields: 60 meatballs
- Prep: 30 mins
- Bake: 15 mins to 18 mins 350°F
- Cook: 2 hrs to 3 hrs (low) or 1 to 1 1/2 hours (high)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. For meatballs, in a very large bowl, beat egg with a fork. Stir in bread crumbs, dried cranberries or raisins, onion, salt, and cloves or allspice. Add ground chicken or turkey; mix well. Shape into 60 meatballs.
- Lightly coat a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place meatballs in pan.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until done (165 degrees F).*
- Meanwhile, in a 3-1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker, stir together cranberry sauce and barbecue sauce. Add cooked meatballs, stirring gently to coat. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 2 to 3 hours or on high-heat setting for 1 to 1-1/2 hours. (Meatballs may be kept warm on low-heat setting for up to 1 hour more.) Serve with toothpicks. Makes 60 meatballs.
Prepare meatballs as directed through step 2. Cover and chill for up to 24 hours. Continue as directed in steps 3 and 4, using the maximum timings to bake and to heat in slow cooker.
The internal color of a meatball is not a reliable doneness indicator. A poultry meatball cooked to 165 degrees F is safe, regardless of color. To measure the doneness of a meatball, insert an instant-read thermometer into the center of meatball.
- Per serving:
- 45 kcal cal.,
- 1 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 4 mg chol.,
- 107 mg sodium,
- 5 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet