Classic Giblet Stuffing
- Makes: 10 servings
- Serving Size: 3/4 cup plain or oyster variation
- Prep: 35 mins
- Bake: 35 mins 325°F
Classic Giblet Stuffing
- Rinse giblets. Refrigerate liver until needed. In a small saucepan cook the remaining giblets, covered, in enough boiling water to cover for 1 hour. Add liver. Simmer, covered, for 20 to 30 minutes more or until tender. Drain* and chop giblets; set aside.
- In the same saucepan cook celery and onion in hot butter over medium heat until tender but not brown; remove from heat. Stir in giblets, sage, pepper, and salt. Place dry bread cubes in a very large bowl; add the onion mixture. Drizzle with enough broth to moisten, tossing lightly to combine.
- Use bread mixture to stuff one 8- to 10-pound turkey. (See stuffing tips and roasting chart for doneness temperatures and roasting times.) Place any remaining stuffing in a 1-quart casserole. (If necessary, to moisten, add more broth to stuffing in casserole.) Cover and chill until ready to bake.
- Bake stuffing in casserole alongside turkey during the last 35 to 40 minutes of roasting time or until heated through. Or place all of stuffing in a 2-quart casserole. Bake, covered, in a 325 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until heated through. Makes 10 to 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
If desired, substitute 1 to 1-1/3 cups giblet-cooking broth for the chicken broth.
Prepare as above, except omit the giblets and use a medium saucepan. Add 1 pint shucked oysters, drained and chopped, to the cooked vegetables. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Stir in seasonings. Continue as above, except reduce broth to 1/4 cup.
Prepare as above, except omit the giblets. With a knife, cut an X in the shells of 1 pound fresh chestnuts (3 cups). Spread chestnuts on a large baking sheet. Roast chestnuts in a 400 degree F oven for 15 minutes; cool. Peel and coarsely chop chestnuts. (Or, use one 8-ounce jar or one 10-ounce can whole, peeled chestnuts, drained and chopped.) Add chestnuts with seasonings. Use 3/4 cup to 1 cup broth.
Nutrition Facts (Classic Giblet Stuffing)
- Per serving:
- 189 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 62 mg chol.,
- 379 mg sodium,
- 16 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 1 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet