Baked Chicken in Red Pepper Sauce
- In a plastic or paper bag combine the 1/4 cup flour, the salt, paprika, and pepper.
- Skin chicken. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, to the bag, shaking to coat well. Arrange chicken in a shallow baking pan; drizzle with melted margarine or butter. Bake in a 375 degree F. oven for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, in a medium saucepan, cook red or green sweet pepper and green onion in hot oil until tender. Stir in 2 tablespoons flour. Add chicken broth, sugar, and crushed red pepper. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Remove from heat; stir in vinegar and cool slightly.
- Spoon sauce over chicken. Bake for 30 minutes more or until chicken is tender and no longer pink, basting with sauce two or three times during baking. Reheat any remaining sauce and pass with chicken. Makes 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare sauce. Transfer to a glass or plastic bowl; cover and chill up to 24 hours. Bake chicken as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Baked Chicken in Red Pepper Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 213 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 49 mg chol.,
- 397 mg sodium,
- 12 g carb.,
- 18 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet