Potato Cinnamon Rolls
- In a large bowl combine 1 1/2 cups of the flour and the yeast; set aside. In a medium saucepan heat and stir milk, mashed potato, the 1/3 cup butter, the granulated sugar, and salt just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and butter almost melts; add to flour mixture along with the eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total kneading time). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl; turn once to grease surface of dough. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double in size (45 to 60 minutes).
- Punch down dough. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan;** set aside. For filling, in a small bowl stir together brown sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- Roll dough into an 18x12-inch rectangle. Spread the 1/4 cup butter over dough rectangle. Sprinkle filling over butter-spread dough rectangle, leaving 1 inch unfilled along one of the long sides. Roll up filled rectangle into a spiral, starting from the long side with the filling. Pinch dough to seal seams.
- Cut dough spiral into 12 equal pieces. Arrange pieces, cut sides down, in the prepared baking pan. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and place on the middle rack of your unheated oven; place a bowl of warm water on the lower rack. Let rise until nearly double in size (about 30 minutes).
- Remove pan of rolls from oven; uncover and set aside. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and done in center. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Using a small metal spatula, loosen rolls from pan. Place a wire rack on top of pan; place one hand on top of rack and other hand under pan and carefully invert pan with rack (use pot holders to protect your hands). Lift pan off rolls. Drizzle or spread rolls with Icing. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
For the mashed potato, prick a 10-ounce unpeeled potato all over with a fork. Microwave on 100% power (high) for 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Halve potato and scoop pulp out of skin into a small bowl; discard skin. Mash the potato pulp with a potato masher or an electric mixer on low speed. Measure 1 cup of mashed potatoes.
Prepare Potato Cinnamon Rolls as directed through Step 5, except do not let rise after shaping. Cover loosely with oiled waxed paper, then with plastic wrap. Chill for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours. Before baking, let chilled rolls stand, covered, for 30 minutes at room temperature. Uncover and bake as directed.
To use a 3-quart rectangular baking dish instead of a baking pan, lightly grease the dish. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cakes:
Prepare Potato Cinnamon Rolls as directed through Step 4. Slice the dough spiral in half lengthwise. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. In center of each prepared baking sheet coil one dough half, cut sides up, to form a snail shape; tuck end under. Let rise as directed in Step 5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake about 30 minutes or until golden brown, covering edges with foil if necessary to prevent overbrowning.
Prepare as directed through Step 3. In a medium bowl stir together 1/2 cup melted butter, 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, and 1/4 cup light-color corn syrup. Stir in 3/4 cup chopped pecans. Spread mixture in prepared pan. Continue as with Step 4, placing rolls on top of mixture in pan. After baking, immediately invert rolls onto a serving platter (spoon any nut mixture remaining in pan onto rolls). Omit the icing.
Per roll: 520 cal., 23 g total fat (12 g sat. fat), 77 mg chol., 360 mg sodium, 72 g carbo., 3 g fiber, 8 g pro.
Daily Values: 12% vit. A, 3% vit. C, 7% calcium, 15% iron
Exchanges: 2 Starch, 2 1/2 Other Carbo., 3 1/2 Fat
Prepare Potato Cinnamon Rolls as directed, except stir 1/2 cup golden raisins and/or 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted, into the filling.
Per roll: 416 cal., 11 g total fat (96 g sat. fat), 61 mg chol., 284 mg sodium, 73 g carbo., 2 g fiber, 7 g pro.
Daily Values: 7% vit. A, 6% vit. C, 6% calcium, 15% iron
Exchanges: 2 Starch, 3 Other Carbo., 2 Fat
Potato Cinnamon Rolls with Dried Apples and Raisins:
Prepare Potato Cinnamon Rolls as directed, except omit brown sugar and cinnamon. For filling, in a small bowl stir together 1/3 cup granulated sugar, 1/3 cup chopped dried apples, 1/4 cup raisins, 2 teaspoons apple pie spice, and 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel (optional).
Per roll: 405 calories, 7 g protein, 70 g carbohydrate, 11 g total fat (6 g sat. fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 32 g total sugar
Daily Values: 7% Vitamin A, 6% Vitamin C, 313 mg sodium, 5% calcium, 15% iron
Potato Cinnamon Rolls with Cranberries and Pistachios:
Prepare Potato Cinnamon Rolls as directed, except omit cinnamon and reduce brown sugar to 1/3 cup. For filling, in a small bowl stir together the 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup dried cranberries, and 1/4 cup chopped pistachio nuts.
Per roll: 407 calories, 8 g protein, 68 g carbohydrate, 12 g total fat (6 g sat. fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 30 g total sugar
Daily Values: 7% Vitamin A, 6% Vitamin C, 299 mg sodium, 5% calcium, 14% iron
Browned Butter Drizzle
- In a small saucepan heat butter over low heat until melted. Continue heating until butter turns a delicate light brown, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. In a large mixing bowl combine powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons of the milk, and the vanilla. Add the browned butter. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Beat on medium to high speed, adding additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to reach spreading consistency.
- In a small bowl stir together powdered sugar, vanilla, and enough milk to reach drizzling consistency.
Cream Cheese Icing
- In a medium mixing bowl beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until smooth. Beat in milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to reach spreading consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Potato Cinnamon Rolls)
- Per serving:
- 396 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 61 mg chol.,
- 283 mg sodium,
- 68 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 31 g sugar,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet